Before you Build: Information on our Treehouse Plans
Welcome, DIY treehouse builders! We’re so glad you’ll be using one of our designs to bring your dream treehouse to life.
Our designs require intermediate to advanced construction knowledge to execute and are meant to serve as aesthetic inspiration; they’re the perfect launching point for your own creativity. Each plan is meant to be customized to your trees and lifestyle, and we encourage you to make it your own!
RESOURCES TO REFERENCE:
All of our plans come with a complimentary copy of our Treehousing: The Instructional Guide. Before embarking on your build, we recommend reading the Guide cover to cover to familiarize yourself with the best practices of treehouse-building. As we state in the Guide, the trees dictate the design of the platform, so please be prepared to modify each plan set according to your specific tree scenario.
We also recommend consulting an arborist before each build, as well as a structural engineer if you plan to significantly alter the treehouse platform design.
If you live in a snowy region, you must take into account snow load when building your treehouse. We strongly recommend consulting with a structural engineer before purchasing hardware to ensure you have proper support.
Lastly, our blog and YouTube channel are full of educational content on tips, tricks, and best techniques for treehouse design and build. We recommend that treehouse DIY-ers watch these videos before getting started:
- What is a TAB? (Treehouse Attachment Bolt)
- TAB Installation Tips
- Installing a Treehouse Suspension System
- Basic Tree Entry SRT Climbing
You might also find these blog posts informative:
- Hardware Highlight: Treehouse Attachment Bolt
- One-Stop Shop for Your Treehouse Build
- Pete Nelson's Treehouse Designs for DIY-ers
- DIY Ships Ladder
- DIY Hog Wire Railing
- Treehouse Framing DIY Tutorial: Your First Rake Wall
- How to Build a Fibonacci Bench
- Treehouse DIY-ers Part 1
We provide a complimentary 15-minute consultation to advise you on the best plan and equipment for your trees. If you need more than 15 minutes, we offer consultations for an hourly fee. You can read more about our consultation services here.
THE PLAN SET:
The following information is included in each plan set:
- Platform and floor plan, framing plan, wall sections, and more section details
- Two or three elevation sections
- Specific sizes of wood for knee braces and beams
- List of required treehouse connection hardware such as TABs and lag bolts
- Copy of Treehousing: The Instructional Guide
Due to the infinite variability of trees, the following information is not included in treehouse plans:
- Specific cut list for the lumber
- Detailed material list
- Bid/cost breakdown
HAVE FUN AND GET CREATIVE!
Keep in mind that treehouse-building is an organic process – our crew almost always innovates onsite with spontaneous tweaks to the original design. Stay flexible, get creative, and have fun, even (or especially) when you’re deep in head-scratching moments of treehouse troubleshooting. To the trees!
Questions? Please reach out to orders@